Changing the Guard at the Alcazar of Toledo is a military ceremony that takes place annually at the Army Museum. It is carried out by the 1st Regiment “Inmemorial del Rey” from the Army Headquarters.
The ceremony starts with the “Assembly” call played by the Band. The Officer of the Old Guard assembles his weapon-bearing troops, and the New Guard start moving until they face the Old Guard, which is in the shoulder-arms position.
For these ceremonies, the Regiment wear their Period Uniforms. It is common for them to use the infantry uniform from 1908, time of the King Alphonse XIII, which was worn by the cadets in the Infantry Academy until 1931. During that period, the Academy had its seat at the Alcazar of Toledo.
Changing the Guard is carried out in accordance with what was set forth in the Article 34 of Charles III’s Royal Ordinances.
“He who is appointed for sentry duty, when called up by his Corporal, shall proceed properly bearing his weapon in the shoulder-arms position; when reaching the soldier to be off duty, both weapons shall be presented. The soldier to be off duty shall explain very clearly the specific obligations of the post, which the Corporal shall listen to carefully, to the soldier appointed for duty. The Corporal, agreeing with the instructions or amending whatever was omitted by the soldier to be off duty, will order the soldier appointed for duty to achieve exactly what he has been entrusted with and to bear in mind the general obligations taught to him.”
The 1st Infantry Regiment “Inmemorial del Rey” is the unit with the most ancient background in the Western world, since there are genuine records of its participation in the conquer of Seville in 1248, together with the rest of the king Ferdinand III’s troops. Since these far away times, the Regiment has taken part in countless facts of war, both in Europe and Africa or the American continent, always achieving the greatest glories for their country.
For this reason, the heirs to the Spanish crown hold a position as soldiers in this Regiment. His Majesty King Philip VI did so as Prince of Asturias in 1977.
PLEDGES OF ALLEGIANCE TO